If you decide to take your pets in the car with you, it’s important that they are kept safe at all times, even if it is just a short journey. Many pet-owners are unaware of the laws around driving with pets, and that they could face a hefty fine if they are found driving without their pet properly restrained.
Here’s our top tips on driving with pets to make sure you’re both safe:
- If you’re planning a longer trip, why not test your pets out first with some shorter journeys to get used to the car? Some animals feel agitated in smaller spaces so getting them used to a new environment will prevent any stress on the day.
- Check your pet’s health before you travel, especially if you’re taking them on holiday or on a longer journey. Ensure they have the relevant pet insurance.
- Feed your pet a light meal a couple of hours before you plan to leave and pack snacks and water for breaks in the journey.
- Toilet breaks are essential not just for us humans, but especially for our pets. Make sure everyone has a toilet break before and during any long journeys.
- It’s also a good idea, if you’re travelling with a dog, to take them for a long walk before the journey which might tire them out and help them relax. You could be fined if your pet is deemed to be a distraction so the calmer they are the better.
- Make sure you have appropriate restraints for your four-legged friend, like a doggy seatbelt, pet guard or carrier. This is in accordance with Rule 57 of the Highway Code and sticking to this rule can ensure you don’t face those fines.
- Remember to pack your pet’s favourite toys, blankets and leads. These can bring them comfort during the journey and ensure you’re prepared for when you reach your destination.
- If you breakdown during your journey, it’s important to only let animals out of the car when it is safe to do so. Remember to always keep them on their lead or in their carrier and let the recovery service know you’re travelling with a pet.
These tips will help ensure that you and your passengers are kept safe on your journey.
Are you looking for a car that’s more pet-friendly? We have thousands of cars from trusted dealers local to you, of all shapes and sizes.